January 17, 2019, 6:06 PM : Please sign in or register for a free account. Get information about membership.
Who's chatting now:
Forum: Discussions

Old School gamers only want to watch the world burn
By StevenCao
On Wed Dec 26, 2018 08:07 PM

"When I first pitched into the neighborhood over how to get gold in old school runescape Twitch, I was anticipating a bit of a response," West says. "Because when you are revealing best-in-slot items, you have either got no response--that is exactly what you are planning for really because that means they are happy--or you receive an extremely loud response that, as we've seen on Reddit, is exactly what happened. Of course, what I didn't expect was for a different artist to pop up in. But when Legend_Arts posted his theory where he left it bright and shiny, it made like 10,000 upvotes on Reddit, which is why I then went onto the livestream to let them watch me build it."

"It's a much more favorable position to be in than everyone just complaining and shouting. We were fortunate. Surethere were several memes here and there, and they were fairly great. But what the memes brought, that was so good about this instance, was real individuals who actually wanted to assemble fantastic layouts. As much as there were memes, the good ideas that people liked weren't overshadowed."

Legend_Arts posted his hybrid armor on April 9. The identical day, West chose some player-made theories to use. Two days later, he staged the procedure for turning the most well-known ones into in-game models. Two days after that, he shared a few variations complete with surveys to once again let players form the armor. And he wasn't just spitballing. This is the armor coming in the Theatre of Blood. Players supplied the alloy, and now Jagex is hammering it into shape.

"What I worked on last week will be the very first design that the players enjoyed," West says. "The Gothic design turned blue was somewhat behind the player-suggested layout. But at that point I would already set out to make either, so what I'm gonna do is create the other group in-game and we'll have an official poll so that they can finally decide which one they need. I don't really mind that one wins. I enjoy the one players suggested."

For all the memes, the Justicar armor fiasco is a superb illustration of the benefits of a player-inclusive approach, especially for an MMO. Sure, some Old School gamers only want to watch the world burn, but the majority genuinely want to help increase the sport. In this case, they weren't happy, they offered suggestions, and since Jagex acted on them, everyone is becoming a much better raid.

"I think players like when they have a state and when buy osrs gold safe their voice is in fact acted upon," West says. "It gives them more power to shape their match, which I'm all for. Being recognized that way by the devs is excellent, it brings the community into the dev side. ... A great deal of opinions were questioning how it feels to be an artist becoming so much frank criticism, and I feel like that is the stuff you learn from. If you're going to ignore negative criticism, you might as well ignore all criticism. It's enjoyable, but it takes a few decades to get used to."

ReplySendWatch